Saturday, February 28, 2015

Jai guru deva, om..

Most of times, when visiting my favorite coffee shop, they play some rock music with the varied subgenres from 70s rock to 90s brit-rock. I'm not really into rock music, though I can't deny listening to some rockin' tunes. The atmosphere built through the music in the coffee shop is so different, so unlike-me-but-somehow-me-gusta. Well I went there to enjoy my favorite iced chocolate drink while (sometimes) reading a novel or some e-Magz and then they played some 90s brit-rock tunes then people started singing along and I'd be like Oompa Loompa lost in Bikini Bottom but then deciding to live there because he was like "Oh! I love Fancy! I love Krabby Patty!"

I've never thought 90s brit-rock would be that awesome.. Well they have such charms that I could hardly explain, like a magic forcing you to keep listening to the music and absorb the magical lyrics. Magical? I'm not really sure about it but The Beatles' Across The Universe has been haunting me for days like "Hey! You can never forget me because I'm gonna linger on your mind until the end of the world!" 

Jai Guru Deva, Om

So the lyrics say "Jai Guru Deva, Om" which means something like "I thank Guru Dev. Om" or "Salutation to Guru Deva. Om", while Om itself is a kind of hum, a mantra, or rather, a natural vibration. Reading on Wikipedia, it is said that "Om" is a sacred, mystical sound. The song haunts me. It HAS BEEN haunting me for days and "Jai Guru Deva, Om" pops into my head like every single day. 

This morning, Radiohead's Karma Police just popped into my head and I felt the urge to go to iTunes store and buy the music. So there it is, now playing in my iTunes. Karma. Police. So there is a police regulating all karmas all around the world, eh? I mean, when you do something bad to others, you'll get what you've done. You'll pay for it. The song is what I'll be most likely listening to before sleeping (well it's not a lullaby anyway) and it's in my special playlist designed to accompany my study-time. Arranged in mid-tempo, this alternative rock song kind of reminds me of Dewa 19's Dua Sejoli, despite the clear differences between the two songs in terms of composition. I think the reminiscent is based on my idea that they're both alternative rock songs I'd love to hear while studying because they give me such indescribably nuance. 


Karma police! Please arrest those who have wronged me! If you do something good, then the goodness would come back to you in ways you might have never expected before. If you do something bad, then the badness would come back to you someday. Karma does exist. 

And when trouble comes, what you have to do is to keep your chin up and say "Let it be". The Beatles' Let It Be is actually my favorite one. It's like a song you'd love to hear when you feel sad and depressed. "Mother Mary comes to me speaking words of wisdom "Let It Be". What a powerful line. Its piano riffs are the best! I love to play it on my piano and sing to the piano accompaniment. The chorus echoes in my mind, telling me to.. well, just let things happen, let them be because "there will be an answer"


I love Talbot's version. She's really got the talent! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment