Saturday, June 14, 2014

[Review] Snowbody Loves Meeeee

Tom and Jerry: Snowbody Loves Me (1964)

If you Indonesian subscribe to cable TV service, you'll be more likely to get access to international channels. My family has been using cable TV service and it is good since I can access more (and better) TV channels, as well as fancy programs. To be honest, there are many Indonesia TV channels offering cheap soap operas and stupid entertainment programs which are not educative. Some channels are so full of politics campaigns that make me sick. I can't stand cheap soap operas, as well as politics campaigns, gossip programs spreading bullshits, and people dancing like idiots on those cheap music programs but I realize that I need TV to fulfill my pleasure so watching international channels would be a good option for me. 

I watch KBS World, Arirang, OneChannel and Mediacorp Channel 8 for Asian programs and Nickelodeon for family programs and cartoons, as well as Disney Channel and Cartoon Network. These days my mom has been watching Cartoon Network and it's kind of funny since my mom would stay in front of TV after dinner, waiting for series of Tom & Jerry. The series' theme song has been echoing in my brain these days and every time I hear the theme song, I'll go downstairs, sit on my favorite green couch, and watch Tom & Jerry with my mom. 

Days ago Cartoon Network aired Tom & Jerry: "Snowbody Loves Me" (1964). I was so excited since the episode featured some favorite classical pieces of mine. The episode starts with Jerry the Mouse walking through the blizzard while Chopin's "Revolutionary" Etude op. 10 no. 12 playing in background. Later, Jerry the Mouse dances to Chopin's Grande Valse Brillante, wearing ballet tutu made of cheese. Fantaisie Improptu is played in scene where Tom smacks Jerry and throws him to the snow. 

Fantaisie Improptu during scene of throwing Jerry the Mouse to the snow

I bet this is my favorite Tom & Jerry episode, ever. The episode doesn't really show much violence and it portrays Tom's concern towards Jerry the Mouse (though earlier he's treated Jerry so bad). Classical pieces used in the episode really fit the scenes, especially the 'Piu Lento' part in Fantaisie-Improptu, fitting scene where Tom saves Jerry, wrapping the mouse with a warm blanket. This is one of episodes where Tom & Jerry don't fight until the end of the episode. In the end of "Snowbody Loves Me", Tom plays piano and Jerry, wearing traditional Swiss outfit, dances merrily. 









0 comments:

Post a Comment